Please get in touch if you have evidence of:
- a degree in a relevant subject (2(ii) or above)
- GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics at C or Grade 4 or above
- An A Level or standard equivalent (normally grade B or above) in the subject you intend to teach or in a relevant subject
- Recent and relevant experience of working with young people (either in a secondary school or in the community). If you need support with this after application we can help you gain experience
- Your competency in fundamental English and Maths. We will make an assessment of fundamental English and Mathematics knowledge and skills during our selection process.
- A commitment to career in teaching
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- An ability to relate to and engage with young people
- Strong subject knowledge. Don’t worry if you completed your degree a few years ago and feel that you need a refresher course in some subject areas. Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) courses are available to top up your subject knowledge (see below).
- Knowledge of issues linked to secondary education
- An ability to work effectively as part of a group
- An ability to use initiative
Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)
Don’t hold back from applying for teacher training due to your subject confidence – if necessary, you can top up your subject knowledge before you start your course with us and we can support you by directing you towards resources.
You can also complete an SKE courses which are usually available for subjects where there is a particular demand for teachers.
We will work with you to identify your need for an SKE as part of our selection process, usually at interview. If we feel you need to enhance your knowledge, but have potential to be a great teacher, we’ll offer you a teacher training place on the condition that you complete an SKE course and help you decide on the most appropriate course for you.
We strongly recommend that all SKE courses are completed before your teacher training commences. They are available to study full-time or part-time, classroom-based or on-line. TES Institute at https://www.tes.com/institute/subject-knowledge-enhancement-ske run several online courses and a full directory is available at https://www.go.uk/government/publications/subject-knowledge-enhancement-course-directory